Snakes! Why’d it have to be snakes..?
Painting minis can get expensive, if you keep buying all sorts of stuff. But paints can last a while, whereas you’ll need to buy minis each time you want to paint. So, instead of buying individual minis, I picked up one of the Dungeons & Dragons adventure board games called Wrath of Ashardalon. The game itself is kinda fun, but I wanted the stash of 40+ minis inside the box so I could paint all of them. In fact, I think each of the D&D games has around 40 or more miniatures in them. And at around $40-$50 per game (or more, depending on where you look), that’s a steal compared to buying individual minis.
I figured I would start with something simple: snakes. I considered various color schemed, figuring I could go any which way since they were probably of magical origin anyway. (How else would they get that big?) But, I settled on something relatively traditional, and went with green as my main color.
They actually ended up being a lot more work than I anticipated, just because of all the tiny dots. I applied lighter green to all dots along the lines, and yellow to all dots in between. Dry-brushing added highlights to any ridges. And a slightly lighter color added highlights to the top of each of the belly sections. Finally, I filled in the eyes, added white to the fangs, and painted a dark red inside the mouth.
Here’s a shot with the base coat. I use Rustoleum’s Ultra-Cover 2X primers for my minis. In this case, it’s supposed to be a flat black, though I think I went a tad heavy and it made it slightly glossy.
Next, I added my base colors. I went with a nice, darker green for the body, and a custom-mixed yellow for the belly.
Finally, I lightened up the base colors just a touch and added highlights and dry-brushing. I also used a lighter green color to make all of the spines pop. The yellow dots are the same as the belly color. I also finished up the eyes, mouth, and fangs.