Finally! I have to say, I’m really excited to share my latest minis with you. In continuing my quest to paint the D&D Wrath of Ashardalon minis, I bring to you……. *drumroll*
The Cultists! *ominous music*
I’ve been itching to find a good mini to test out wet-blending paints, but just haven’t had anything I could try it on. Finally, I found some nice, broad surfaces to give it a go.
For those of you not familiar with painting minis, wet-blending is a technique where you try to achieve a smooth gradient from one color to another. When you’re simply layering colors, it’s possible to get close. And the more in-between colors you use when layering, the better it looks. But you always end up with some noticeable sharp transitions from one color to another. And that’s where wet-blending comes in.
To do wet-blending, you’ll need to move quickly. After your base coat is down and dry, paint one section the color you wish to end one side of your color gradient with. Paint all the way up to the middle of where you want your transition to occur from one color to another. Then, do the same with your second color. While the paints are still wet, you then use the brush to blend the two colors right at the transition point, fading the paint into each color. This is a really rough idea of how this technique works, because to explain it in detail would take a LOT more words. In reality, a video will really illustrate this technique much better than I can write it out.
On these three minis, I tested out wet-blending. I found that it was much easier to apply thinner layers, progressively adding more and more paint to get the blend to smooth out. It took a lot of time to get the blend right, so it may not make sense to use it on minis where you don’t need a high-quality paint job. I used three colors on the red and blue minis to blend from black to red or black to blue. So, there was a middle color to soften the transition to black. With the purple mini, I didn’t have a middle color to use, so I just went right from purple to black.
All-in-all, I’m super-happy with how these turned out.