Painting Minis – D&D Wrath of Ashardalon #6 – Cave Bears

And lo, I arrive with another edition of Painting Minis!

As I continue working through Wrath of Ashardalon, I’m having to deal with the more difficult minis to paint.  I say difficult because they tend to have the most detail or the finest detail.  I know they’ll take me hours to do, maybe even multiple sessions.  One such set that I was concerned about was the cave bears.  I was worried about making the fur look as good as possible.  There would be a lot of dry-brushing and shading.  I figured these would be more difficult than many of the others I had done.  Boy, was I wrong!

Cave Bear - FrontThe cave bears were probably one of the easiest sets of minis in the entire box!

I started off by mixing up a good brown color for the fur.  I don’t have the color that I wanted, so I mixed the Harvest Brown and Shadowed Stone – just as I’ve done several previous sessions – to achieve a more natural-looking brown color.  Something akin to milk chocolate.  Or mud.  Something that you’d likely see in a forested area to help the bears stay camouflaged as much as possible.  Once I had my color, I pretty much just slathered it everywhere to completely coat the minis.

To bring out the fur texture, I lightened the base color just a bit and dry-brushed it around the peaks of the fur.  I also lightened up the brown even more and brushed it over the raised and curved areas to highlight areas where sunlight would shine or reflect the most.

Cave Bear - BackI then used a dark brown wash to fill in all of the valleys between the fur.  Heavily washing the model really gave the it a lot more depth and texture.

After the wash dried, I tried dry-brushing the highlighted areas again on one of the minis.  As I did it, I didn’t really notice much of a difference, so I skipped that step on the other two minis.  Unfortunately, that really did make the mini look better.  But I didn’t see the difference until after I clear-coated them…  I’d highly-recommend dry-brushing over the base and highlights again.  It makes the wash seem even deeper.  If you want the minis to look their best, DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

Lastly, I finished up with black on the claws, nose, and eyes, as well as the inside of the mouth.  And I painted the teeth with Dirty Bone.

After everything dried, I used play sand from our local volleyball court to base the mini, following everything up with good glossy clear coat to protect the paint, and then Anti-Shine to kill the glossiness.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s