A couple of my players do not have minis to use for our D&D campaign, so I wanted to find ones that would work for their characters and paint them up, then surprise them with a mini. One of those players happens to be playing a monk. And let me tell you, finding a female monk miniature that looks half-way decent is surprisingly difficult. I ended up settling on a different mini that has some promise.
It’s Seoni, Iconic Sorceress from the Reaper Pathfinder line of miniatures! She’s made of metal, and required some trimming and smoothing of mold lines. Honestly, it’s not really that much more difficult than dealing with plastic minis. Sometimes those Reaper Bones minis have mold lines that just won’t trim away.
Originally she had these long, flowing braids. Unfortunately those kept getting moved and bent until one of them nearly came off. So, I just removed them with a sharp utility knife, being careful not to gouge other areas of the mini.
Then I had to come up with a paint scheme. I hadn’t done purple, yet. And purple would make the mini pretty versatile. She could still be a sorceress, but she could also be a monk.
First step: hit her with some primer. I normally choose black or gray primer, but with lighter skin and some vibrant colors I wanted to make sure it didn’t require layer after layer just to cover the dark base color. Hence the white primer. And I have to say, it really helped with skin tones and warmer colors.
I started with the eyes, mouth, and skin first. I’ve discovered it’s difficult to do eyes after you do the facial skin, so I just start there first. The color was a blend of mostly white, with a very small amount of yellow and just a tiny dab of red to warm it a bit. Eyes were shadowed with purple, then the eyeballs were coated in white and dotted with a tiny dark blue pupil.
After the skin was done, I moved on to the outfit. (Dress? Robe? Whatever…) I just used RMS Imperial Purple straight from the bottle. Just a dab of white lightened it up for the highlights. I watered down the highlight color to apply it very thinly to avoid making it too obvious. Blue accent areas were done using Vallejo Azure. The pattern on the plate was done with Azure lightened just a bit with white.
Yellow accents were done with RMS Pale Saffron.
Lastly, the hair. I used very dark brown for the hair. I took RMS Harvest Brown and darkened it with black to a very dark shade. Then I hit the tips with highlights to show off the wavy hair.
Add a base and some clear varnish, and we’re done!
On a side note, this was my first chance trying out a Vallejo paint. (I also tried out Vallejo light gray, but I never used it on the mini.) I made a few observations about their paints:
- They require more shaking to mix the paint. There’s no BB inside the bottle like the Reaper paints have, so you need to really shake them well in order to make sure they’re mixed properly.
- They separate quickly. Faster than Reaper paints, anyway. Make sure to shake the bottle before dispensing any paint, or stir any colors on your pallet.
- They seem thicker than Reaper paints. It could be I didn’t quite mix the paint all the way, but it came out smoothly. It just seems to be a tad bit thicker. Not necessarily a bad thing.
- They cover well. Good, quick coverage with minimal layers.
- Easy to paint with. They flow nicely with the brush. Definitely a good indicator of quality.
- They mix well with Reaper paints. At least the Reaper Master Series. I tried mixing a couple of different colors and had no issues.
All-in-all, I’m very happy that I picked up a few Vallejo paints. I even tried their metallic medium, and it worked well mixed with Reaper paints. Overall, a really nice paint with some minor differences to the Reaper paints that I’m used to. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up more from Vallejo in the future.