Dragons Don’t Share – Painted Ruins

Reaper DDS - box frontIf you’ve been following along with my painting posts, then you noticed that I recently acquired the Reaper Bones diorama set called “Dragons Don’t Share”.  It’s a really cool set of miniatures and terrain, including five heroes, a huge dragon, and the ruins of an old tower.  Since I’ve wanted to use the ruins in a portion of my D&D campaign for the Lost Mine of Phandelver, I began painting up the ruins right away.

Over four to five days, I sat and painted.  And painted…  and painted.  Painting terrain really can get tedious, especially with all of the dry-brushing.  But, I finally got it completed to a point where I can use it in our game.

Reaper DDS - Ruins Painted 1

I started these pieces with a black spray primer.  I hate using the primer on this, since I’ve found it stays really tacky on the Bonesium plastic and never truly dries.  But, I couldn’t see a better or faster way to base coat everything, so I went with it.  To combat the tackiness and paint rubbing off on my fingers, I sprayed the pieces with a matte varnish to help seal everything so I could handle things without too many issues.

Reaper DDS - Ruins Painted 5

Once that part was done, I settled in for the long haul.  Everything got a full coat of RMS Shadowed Stone for the base color tone, and I tried not to get too much paint in the cracks and crevices so they would have a nice, dark shadow to them.  This should make the texture pop more.

Then I hit the models with highlights of Vallejo Light Gray, dry-brushing very lightly on everything to really make the texture come out of the stone.  I also highlighted block and rock edges.  Dry-brushing the highlights was the longest part of painting these.

Reaper DDS - Ruins Painted 4

After highlights went on, I hit everything with a black wash of Citadel’s Nuln Oil.  This seemed to really be key, as it darkened pits and cracks to really make the stone look great.  After the wash dried, I reapplied highlights to create more contrast and put on another coat of clear matte varnish to seal everything.

There’s still one piece that has the dragon’s hoard mixed in the rubble (see image below), but I’ll save painting the treasure for another time.  I may also come back and do a few dirt patches with a tuft of grass here or there, just to finish things off.  But, for now, they look good to me.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s