Painting Minis – Female Druid

Druid 2So many minis to paint… I feel like I’ve been on a roll lately, just painting up minis for my players for our new Curse of Strahd campaign.  This marks mini #4 I’ve done for this adventure.  And it happens to be my wife’s character, a druid.

She had provided details about colors: dark hair, hazel eyes, wooden staff, and a cloak that fades from dark green to blue to purple, with the purple being the hood and green being the bottom fringe.  The shirt and skirt should be lighter colors.  “Spring-y” colors.

I began with the face and eyes.  Since the eyes are so small, I just went with a medium green dot for the pupils.  I added just a hint of rosiness to her cheeks and some pink to her lips.  Then I worked on the clothing, using a light-to-medium green, almost a pastel green, for the shirt.  Pale yellow accents mark the sleeves.  And a light blue for the skirt.  I then added highlights to these areas, lightening the paint with a touch of white.

Druid 3The cloak was surprisingly easier than than I anticipated.  I was expecting to do some wet blending, which is time-consuming.  But, the darker colors blended so well that I didn’t need to wet blend.  I ended up painting the three main colors in sections.  Then I mixed a range of color between each one and dry-brushed to create the gradient.  The fringe was left black, using dark gray for highlights.

Lastly, the staff was painted my standard wood/leather brown mixture of half RMS Shadowed Stone and half RMS Harvest Brown.  I added some dry-brushed highlights here, as well, after hitting the staff with a brown wash to deepen the contrast.

For the base, I painted in a dark brown on the bottom.  Then I added some earth flocking material for the dirt by painting a thin layer of watered-down white glue and dusting it.  I’ve noticed I need to do this two or three times, sometimes.  It just depends on the area I’m applying it.  To finish it off, I applied some GF9 grass fibers.  As in my previous mini with grass, I applied a thin layer of super glue to hold the grass in place.  After gently applying the grass, I blow across it to help it stand up a bit.

So, that’s it!  I’m extremely happy with how this mini came out.  My only issue is with the look of the face when up close, but that’s a non-issue the vast majority of the time.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s